Robert C. Norton
Robert C. Norton first joined Rodi Pollock as an associate in 1986, and became a principal in the firm in 1989.
Bob specializes in representing individuals and business entities in the areas of corporate and corporate securities law, mergers and acquisitions, federal, state and local taxation, and general business matters. Bob is a frequent lecturer at continuing legal education seminars dealing with corporate law, corporate securities and finance, and tax matters.
Bob has represented many small, medium, and large size businesses in a variety of business transactions, from formation, through acquisitions of assets or subsidiaries, to the sale or other disposition of the business. He has negotiated the purchase and sale of businesses, documented business reorganizations and recapitalizations, and has advised client owners and firms regarding distribution arrangements, franchising, protection of trademarks and other intellectual property, secured transactions, public and private issuance of securities, contracts, and other business matters, including employment matters and shareholder and partner disputes. Bob has also represented clients in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service, the Franchise Tax Board, and the State Board of Equalization.
Bob represents a diverse client base comprised of manufacturers, professional service companies, consumer service providers, technology companies, and physician and medical practice groups. Bob also serves as outside general counsel to small, medium, and large companies, including a nationally known major appliance manufacturer.
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Law
- Corporate Securities Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Employment Matters
- Intellectual Property
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1998
- Texas, 1998
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2006
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- LL.M. in Taxation - 1981
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1978
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California
- B.A. - 1972
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member - Taxation, Real Property, Business Section
- American Bar Association, Member - Business, Labor & Employment, Taxation Sections