Walter T. Killmer Jr.
Walter Killmer joined Rodi Pollock Pettker Christian & Pramov, A Law Corporation, as a principal in September, 2006. For more than twenty-five years, Walter has represented individuals, families, fiduciaries and nonprofit organizations in the areas of estate and trust planning, fiduciary administration and charitable giving. He has also advised individuals on charitable giving and nonprofit organizations on planned giving, endowment and corporate governance issues.
Before moving to Los Angeles, he practiced in New York at two large international law firms, serving at the latter as head of the trusts and estates practice for seven years. Walter's clients include business owners, corporate executives, professionals, artists, families with dynastic wealth, and executors and trustees.
In addition, Walter advises clients in the area of international estate and tax planning. In his international practice, Walter has represented non-U.S. persons seeking to invest in the U.S. or who own U.S. assets; Americans living abroad; Americans who live in the U.S. but own property in another country; and U.S. residents who are nationals of another country and may have assets in multiple jurisdictions.
Walter has lectured on international and domestic estate and trust topics to banks, investment advisors and bar and community audiences.
Walter's activities outside the office are many and diverse. He is a board member and past President of Housing Works, which creates safe, affordable housing opportunities for homeless and low-income individuals and families. He is a board member and Vice President of The Sorel Organization, a foundation that promotes opportunities for women in classical music. He is a Vice President of the Columbia Law School Association and is active as a lay leader in the Episcopal Church.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Trusts & Estates Administration
- Federal Estate & Gift Taxation
- Charitable Giving
- International, Estate and Tax Planning
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1986
- University of Arkansas
- B.A. - 1983
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- State Bar of California, Member, Trusts and Estates Section
- New York State Bar Association , Member, Trusts and Estates Law Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member, Trusts and Estates Section
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York , Former Member, Trusts, Estates and Surrogate's Court Committee
- American Bar Association , Member, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section