A sound estate plan achieves many important objectives, including protecting assets, providing for loved ones and establishing plans for future financial and health care decisions. Without knowledgeable estate planning guidance, you could lose assets that should have stayed with you or your heirs. Future financial and medical decisions could be left in the hands of strangers instead of trusted loved ones.
At Rodi Pollock, we handle a broad range of estate planning and estate litigation matters for clients in Los Angeles and throughout surrounding California communities.
Estate Planning Solutions
We provide a broad range of services in the areas of estate planning and estate and trust administration. We use traditional and cutting-edge strategies to assist families in accumulating, protecting and transferring their wealth and in minimizing taxes. In addition, we offer inbound and outbound international planning for domestic and multinational individuals.
Our attorneys are experienced in utilizing the following types of documents and structures to build and implement estate plans:
- Revocable living trusts
- Irrevocable trusts for gifting
- Defective grantor trusts
- Grantor retained annuity trusts
- Qualified personal residence trusts
- Life insurance trusts
- Charitable giving, including lead and remainder trusts
- Transfer of assets at a discounted value
- Powers of attorney for health care
- Powers of attorney for property and finance
- Business succession planning
- Pre- and post-marital agreements
- Estate planning and health care planning for nontraditional family units and same-sex couples
With a sound estate plan in place, it is often possible to avoid future trust and estate disputes. We handle every estate planning case with the utmost care and attention to detail, so your estate planning documents stand up to scrutiny.
Trusts and Estate Administration
In addition, the firm handles court and administrative proceedings relating too:
- Settlement of decedents' estates through administration of revocable and irrevocable trusts and probate proceedings
- Preparation of federal and state estate tax returns in connection with trust and estate settlement, including portability elections, QTIP elections and generation-skipping transfer tax exemption elections
- Allocation of assets between or among successor trusts
- Reformation of trusts to clarify terms of administration or estate disposition or to maximize use of generation-skipping transfer tax exemption or charitable deduction
- Use of disclaimers in trusts for postmortem estate planning
- Advising Trustees in trust management
- Representing Trustees in legal actions
Representing Family Businesses
Since our inception, family businesses have been a major focus of our estate planning practice. This depth of expertise gives us a distinct advantage in planning and completing the succession of management and ownership in family businesses.
Estate Planning For Nontraditional Couples And Families
Today's families come in all shapes and sizes and require estate planning solutions tailored to their specific needs. Our attorneys represent LGBT couples, helping them establish registered domestic partnerships and the recognition of same-sex marriages at the federal and state levels. We assist unmarried couples, both opposite-sex and same-sex, in documenting their legal relationships, designating decision-makers in the event of incapacity, and providing for disposition of assets at death. We also work with many single individuals whose families of choice may include relatives, close friends and charitable causes.
- Estate and tax analysis of marriage, registered domestic partnership, and remaining single
- Wills and trusts specially crafted to carry out dispositive wishes
- Provision for jurisdictions that do not recognize same-sex marriages
- Co-ownership agreements governing financial contributions and ownership rights for real estate and other shared interests
- Nominations of conservator preempting the normal statutory priority of right to serve
- Inclusion of non-biological children in estate planning documents
- Advice concerning references to "spouse" and "issue" in irrevocable trusts
Contact A Trust Lawyer Serving San Marino, Culver City And Surrounding Areas
Whether you are establishing a trust or need estate planning or asset protection guidance anywhere in California, we are here to help. Contact us today online or call us at 213-550-5099.